Author Topic: Toronto Maple Leafs Jersey/Sweater Project  (Read 70259 times)

Offline NAFFAEL

• Founder
  • Commissioner
  • Administrator
  • Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.
    • TML Fever "Come Catch The Fever TML Style"
Toronto Maple Leafs Jersey/Sweater Project
« on: November 05, 2011, 11:47:37 PM »

1917-18 Toronto Arenas1917-18 Toronto Arenas
1918-19 Toronto Arenas1918-19 Toronto Arenas
Toronto St. Pats 1919-20, 21-22Toronto St. Pats 1919-20, 21-22
Toronto St. Pats 1920-21Toronto St. Pats 1920-21
Toronto St. Pats 1922-25Toronto St. Pats 1922-25
Toronto St. Pats 1925-26Toronto St. Pats 1925-26
Toronto St. Pats 1926-27Toronto St. Pats 1926-27
PRIOR TO THE INCEPTION OF THE MAPLE LEAFS

Once known as the Blueshirts, Shamrocks, Marlboros, Arenas and the St. Patricks, Torontos premier hockey franchise became known as the Maple Leafs after a group headed by Mr. Conn Smythe purchased the team on Valentines Day, February 14, 1927. Taking over a club that earned Stanley Cup championships in 1918 (Toronto Arenas) and 1922 (Toronto St. Pats), Smythe soon started laying the foundation that evolved into the current appearance of the storied Toronto Maple Leafs.

Now in charge of Torontos National Hockey League entry, Smythes patriotic pride led him to decide on a Maple Leaf as the teams namesake and crest. The Maple Leaf was a proud national symbol to Smythe due to his military career. It is also said that he admired the team name of the East Toronto Maple Leaves whom he scouted regularly. The uniform colours remained green and white for a year after he purchased the team out of respect for the previous organization. He then changed the colours to blue and white, likely due to his long time involvement with the Unversity of Toronto Blues hockey team who have the same colours. Past Public Relations Director, Stan Obodiac was fond of saying the blue represented the blue of the Canadian sky and the white represented the white of the Canadian snow.

1928-33The Leafs second uniform consisted of a blue home jersey with a series of thin-wide-thin striped bands on the arms, leggings and shoulders, and a 47-point Maple Leaf on the chest with the words ``Toronto Maple Leafs on the crest. The Leafs road uniform of the time was white with three stripes of equal width on the top of the chest and on the back, three stripes on the waist, three stripes on the stockings and the same 48-point Maple Leaf on the chest.

1933-34Same design, excepting that the thin-wide-thin stripes on the neck and shoulders were replaced with three thin stripes of equal width.

1934-37The basic design of the Leaf uniform for the next four decades was established just prior to the Ace Bailey Benefit Game. The leggings remained the same - three sets of triple stripes - but the jersey itself consisted of two stripes of equal width on the arms and on the waist. There were no stripes on the shoulder, just a simple white band around the collar. The maple leaf crest remained unchanged. The road uniform was similar, with blue stripes and collar.

1937-67 The home uniform remained virtually unchanged during these years except for some subtle alterations to the Maple Leaf crest. The appearance of veins on the Leaf and the word ``Toronto curving downwards appeared in 1937. A 35-point Leaf crest was introduced in 1942. In 1947, the words ``Toronto Maple Leafs appeared in red, but the innovation was largely ceremonial and only lasted one semester. The first appearance of the captains ``C and the alternate captains ``A appeared during the 1946-47 season. Other modifications included highlighting the Leaf crest with a white border (or blue border) and variations to the veins of the Leaf. In 1958, the neck was outfitted with a six-eyelet lace and tie, and this remained a feature of the Leaf uniform until 1973.

In 1958, a major alteration was made to the Leafs road uniform when a solid blue yoke was added to the shoulder, extending from the neck to just above the stripe on the arm. In 1961, when the Leafs began to put numbers on the sleeves of the jersey, this stripe was tapered back to the top of the arm.

1967-70 The first major modification in four decades was made to both the Leafs home and road uniform prior to the start of the 1967 playoffs. The standard 35-point Leaf crest was replaced with a solid 11-point Maple Leaf - similar to the Maple Leaf displayed on the new Canadian flag - in celebration of Canadas centennial year. ``Toronto still curved slightly downward. The two stripes on the arm and waist were replaced with one set of thin-wide-thin stripes, not unlike those on the Leaf uniform of 1928. The road uniform still retained the solid blue yolk on the shoulders.

1970-92 Another distinctive change was made to the Leafs uniform prior to the start of the 1970-71 season, when the NHL introduced legislation requiring the home team to wear white uniforms at home. The crest remained unchanged except the word ``Toronto which was now straight across the crest, parallel to the words ``Maple Leafs. The arm stripes on both home and away uniforms was discontinued, replaced with a solid yolk extending from the neck to the wrist. A solid stripe on the waist, three solid stripes on the stockings and a miniature Leaf crest on the shoulders completed the new uniform design.

In 1975, the Leafs went to the v-necked collar for the first time for the 1972-73 season, but went back to the tie down collar for 1973-74 to 1975-76. In 1976-77, the collar went back to the V-neck shape. In 1975, the leggings were altered to have two stripes instead of three. In 1977, names appeared on the back of the road uniform and by 1979, on the back of the home jersey as well. Ceremonial patches, such as those celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Gardens, commemorating the Heart and Stroke fund, and dedications to King Clancy and Harold Ballard were common features in the past decade.

1992 TO PRESENT During selected games of the 1991-92 season, the Leafs wore an ``Original Six styled uniform, similar in design to the classic jerseys of the 1940s. The fans greeted the ``old style design enthusiastically and with that in mind, the first design changes to the Leafs uniform in 22 years occurred in 1992-93. The uniform is a mixture of the old - triple stripes on the legs, two stripes on the arm and waist with the solid shoulder and arm stripe being discontinued - and the new, with the distinctive 11-point Leaf crest remaining. The shoulder patch features an old-styled Leaf, much like the one featured on the ``Original Six uniform. Honoured sweater numbers were commemorated by special shoulder patches on two current Leaf jerseys beginning in 1993-94. In 1997-98, the numerals and letters on the back of the sweater were modified to match the exact letters of the Maple Leaf logo. A mesh-style under-arm was also incorporated. In 1998-99, in commemoration of the final National Hockey League action at the venerable Maple Leaf Gardens, a special jersey was worn for five home games and five road games. It featured a 35-point Leaf crest on the front and solid blue yolking along the shoulders. The jersey also incorporated the six-eyelet lace and tie which was a feature of the Leaf uniform from 1958 to 1973. Beginning in the 2000-01 season, the Maple Leafs altered the jersey with a new Varsity Block number design and a stylized TML logo as a shoulder patch.

Toronto Maple Leafs 1927The very first Toronto Maple Leafs Jersey - 1927
More Jersey History Information

1927-1928 The first Leaf jersey wasn't very impressive, it was a simple plain white jersey, but it did sport the soon to be famous, 47-point maple leaf crest as the jersey's centerpiece.

1928-1934  The Leaf's first official "Home" jersey was introduced in 1928 and it was blue with a series of thick and thin white horizontal stripes around the sleaves and waist. It's centerpiece was what is the now original and famous 47-point maple leaf crest.

1934-58 The first major change came in 1934. The excessive horizontal striping was now replaced by two thin stripes on both the sleeves and waist and in 1942 the original 47-point leaf was changed to a 35-point leaf.

1958-1967 In 1958, with Six Stanley Cups to its credit, the Leaf's white road jersey was altered to include a solid blue yolking on the shoulder and a six-eyelet lace and tie at the neck was also added. The home jersey remained the same until 1967.

1967-1970 A True Leaf at heart is also a True Canadian at heart! So, it was no surprise that on Canada's 100th year of greatness, the Leaf's commemorated both their home and road jerseys with an 11-point maple leaf; one very similar to the newly introduced leaf on Canada's official flag.

The thin horizontal stripes were also replaced a single set of the old thin-thick-thin stripes (1928) on both the arms and waist. These changes were just prior to the 1967 playoffs and fittingly "Canada's Team" took home the Lord Stanley Mug once again, their 11th in 40 years!

1970-1992 In 1970, the year the Leaf jersey was completely redesigned, White officialy became the "Home" colour. An extention of the blue yolk from the neck to the wrist replaced the arm striping and the thin-thick-thin waist striping was replaced by a thick single stripe. They didn't stop there either, as minature leaves were also to the shoulders to complete the new design.

1992-1997 Once again, in 1992, the Leaf was completely re-designed into a combined mixture of both old and new. The two thin stripes on the arms and waist (1934) were brought back and the six-eyelet lace and tie at the neck was removed. The solid blue yolk from neck to wrist was replaced with a solid white yolk that fell past the shoulders and the old 35-point Leaf (1942) replaced the minature leaves on the shoulders. The only things that did not change were the jersey color and the leaf 11-point maple leaf crest!

1997- Present The current Leaf jersey brought a few changes. The lettering of the numbers and player names were harmonized to match the same font as the lettering on the Leaf crest, and an silver trim outline was added to the edge of the numbers for readability. Also, their new stylized "TML" logo replaced the minature leaves on the shoulders.

The material however, changed completely. The new jersey is now composed of a durable mesh allowing for improved breathability and a more comfortable feel.

1998 - Present The Leaf's introduced a "Heritage" third jersey in 1998. The jersey featured the 35-point Leaf crest from 1942 on the front and solid blue yolking along the shoulders and the six-eyelet lace and tie at the neck, both the from 1958 revision. The jersey was in commemoration of the final National Hockey League season at the venerable Maple Leaf Gardens and this special jersey was to be worn for five home games and five road games, all against Original 6 teams.

This "Heritage" jersey is now the team's third "Alternate" jersey which they still tend to dawn for games against the original 6 teams: Montreal, Detroit, Boston, Chicago and the NY Rangers

1998 Memorial Also in 1998, Tom Pedricks of Ryan & Deslauries designed the "Memories and Dreams" patch, which was another tribute to Maple Leafs Gardens and was worn on the team's regular home and away jerseys, as well as the heritage (now their alternate) jersey.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 09:46:45 AM by NAFFAEL »

These walls honour the 13 Stanley Cup winning teams. Remembering them with pride. They showed the way. They built the tradition we strive to uphold and build on today. ...unknown

"Every time you wake up, ask yourself, "What good am I going to do today?", remember that when the sun goes down at sunset, it will take a part of your life with it." ...Native American Proverb

The individual activity of one man with backbone will do more than a thousand men with a mere wishbone. ...William J. H. Boetcker

Offline crazykaka

• Senior Leaf
Re: Toronto Maple Leafs Jersey/Sweater Project
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 02:15:11 PM »
Naff, I love what you're donig here, and look forward to your additions. 
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline NAFFAEL

• Founder
  • Commissioner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 07:52:30 AM »
Just added 1963 to 1992

These walls honour the 13 Stanley Cup winning teams. Remembering them with pride. They showed the way. They built the tradition we strive to uphold and build on today. ...unknown

"Every time you wake up, ask yourself, "What good am I going to do today?", remember that when the sun goes down at sunset, it will take a part of your life with it." ...Native American Proverb

The individual activity of one man with backbone will do more than a thousand men with a mere wishbone. ...William J. H. Boetcker

Offline crazykaka

• Senior Leaf
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 07:47:42 AM »
I really like those 78-92 Jerseys. Maybe it's due to nostalgia. 
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline NAFFAEL

• Founder
  • Commissioner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 10:18:39 AM »
I have completed this project but will be working on improving the information and my artwork to give the best possible rendition for each change...

Offline Ed Shack 23

• Rookie Leaf
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 08:58:07 AM »
Nafi....that was an excellent thread...really enjoyed looking at all the different times and jerseys...thanks for posting that...I'll have to show it to my dad!!!

Keep blazing that track.....

Offline NAFFAEL

• Founder
  • Commissioner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 09:00:59 AM »
Nafi....that was an excellent thread...really enjoyed looking at all the different times and jerseys...thanks for posting that...I'll have to show it to my dad!!!

Keep blazing that track.....

Hey bud good to have you posting again....  :tup:

Offline B_Wforever

• Promoter
  • Outstanding Member
  • Hall Of Famer
  • Its only up from here
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 10:19:05 AM »
I think the 78-92 are still my favourite.
Maybe its because it`s what I grew up with.
 :Iduno:
I used to have a guy larose jersey of this type. not sure what happened to it.
I would love to get a Wendal Clark Jersey of this type somehow.

I have a lIndros Jersey of the 97-2000 `styleized typeface` variety. It has silver glitter around everything.  Sounds gay I know, but its actually pretty nice.

I am really not a big fan, of the new third jersey with the throw back maple leaf.
I do understand why they did it though. Sounds like a lot of people are buying up new jerseys with old 60`s names on the back. (keon. Horton, Mahovolich etc)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 10:24:01 AM by B_Wforever »

Offline Ed Shack 23

• Rookie Leaf
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 06:48:29 AM »
I think the 78-92 are still my favourite.
Maybe its because it`s what I grew up with.
 :Iduno:

I am really not a big fan, of the new third jersey with the throw back maple leaf.
I do understand why they did it though. Sounds like a lot of people are buying up new jerseys with old 60`s names on the back. (keon. Horton, Mahovolich etc)

And don't forget Shack....    :ww:

Offline Rubens

• O6M
  • Administrator
  • Hall Of Famer
  • Administrator and Original "6" Member
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 03:52:28 PM »
It's funny how you'll like a jersey during an era with a particular team or player that you followed.  I like 1978-1992 as well.

I think the best looking jersey on there is the 1967-1970.
"I got this year and 7 more here and then I'm going to stay for two more because the team is going to be that good."

- Mike Babcock

Offline Gerard P

• Senior Leaf
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 09:24:04 AM »

Love this thread!! I've gotta admit I was very disappointed when I was in TO last month to not find a single jersey on sale aside from the new ones. Not a shop anywheres and even Real Sports people said they simply don't carry them anymore. I was really hoping i'd be able to find a few of the older ones esp. the one Dougie has on here.

And speaking of jerseys, the Wings will prob. be wearing red this time around for the outdoor game so i'm extemely curious to see just what we'll have on. Needless to say, i'll be buying the very first one I see.

Again, just a great thread.

Offline Seth

• Veteran Bud
  • GO LEAFS GO !!!
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 10:50:09 AM »
34 37 yr would be nice to go to that style

Offline Rubens

• O6M
  • Administrator
  • Hall Of Famer
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 08:10:12 PM »
Every since I was a kid and before I was taught to be a Leafs fan, I always loved the Leafs jersey.  I think it is one of the nicest in hockey and will always remain that way.
"I got this year and 7 more here and then I'm going to stay for two more because the team is going to be that good."

- Mike Babcock

Offline Gerard P

• Senior Leaf
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 09:09:26 PM »
I can rem. growing up in the 60s and wearing the old heavy cotton ones but they were magic. In those days you were either Tor. or Mtl. and I had many friends of both. We'd play for hours under the street light with the snow coming down and I know I never took that old jersey off for any of it.

Offline PrinceLH22

• Jr. Bud
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 11:39:18 AM »
I wish the Leafs would dump the Ballard Leaf, on the front of their Jerseys, and go back to the 1967 version.  The white jersey is very nice and wish that they'd release it, after doing the blue jersey last year.  The Ballard Leaf crest has been nothing but a curse, for 42 year!
Put Paul Henderson Into The Hockey Hall Of Fame!

Offline B_Wforever

• Promoter
  • Outstanding Member
  • Hall Of Famer
  • Its only up from here
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 11:49:53 AM »
If I recall correctly the Toronto Maple leafs don't actually own the rights to that old crest and so would actually have to pay royalties to use it.
 :OPS

:welcome: btw.

Offline AndrewG70

• Jr. Bud
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2014, 05:14:43 PM »
I came across this thread as I was doing research for my site, nhluniforms.com.  I've been spending the past couple weeks fine-tuning the appearance of the older jerseys.  I must say, I was quite fascinated about how the originator of this thread, NAFFAEL, completely stole the written descriptions of the uniform changes on each illustration from my website.  To clarify, the artwork was not stolen, but the accompanying descriptions were.  I mean, they are 100% verbatim from what's on my website.  Where I come from, that's called plagiarism -- taking someone else's work and passing it off as one's own. That's inexcusable.  Either give proper attribution or come up with your own words for the descriptions.  Thank you.

Offline NAFFAEL

• Founder
  • Commissioner
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2014, 05:53:13 PM »
I came across this thread as I was doing research for my site, nhluniforms.com.  I've been spending the past couple weeks fine-tuning the appearance of the older jerseys.  I must say, I was quite fascinated about how the originator of this thread, NAFFAEL, completely stole the written descriptions of the uniform changes on each illustration from my website.  To clarify, the artwork was not stolen, but the accompanying descriptions were.  I mean, they are 100% verbatim from what's on my website.  Where I come from, that's called plagiarism -- taking someone else's work and passing it off as one's own. That's inexcusable.  Either give proper attribution or come up with your own words for the descriptions.  Thank you.

You are correct sir, I should have given you your proper credit I usually do..... my bad....

Here you go Descriptions of the Jersey's are from www.nhluniforms.com.

i hope that is good enough for you if not i will remove it all and enter my own.

Offline Rubens

• O6M
  • Administrator
  • Hall Of Famer
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2014, 09:16:33 AM »

While I can completely understand where you are coming from, I hope you also understand that this is a small little forum that promotes hockey talk and history.  In fact, your site has been mentioned on here more than once to promote it.  Not giving you the proper credit was more of an oversite than anything else.

At any rate, your site is fantastic and I personally have referenced it often.

- Mike Babcock

The Evolution Of The Toronto Maple Leafs Logo

The Evolution Of The Toronto Maple Leafs Jersey

Toronto Maple Leafs Jersey History

A Proud Franchise With Strong Tradition And Rich History

13 Stanley Cups

The Toronto Maple Leafs have an incredibly rich history and are arguably the most storied franchise in all of hockey. While the tradition runs deep with 13 Stanley Cups, the last of which came in 1967, the organization was considered a dynasty in the 1940's and 1960's only to be followed by five long decades of drought that began with the Ballard years up until the present day. While a resurgence through the Pat Burns teams of the 1990's and Pat Quinn in the early 2000's brought some respectability back to the organization despite still falling short, the patience of every Leafs fan is at an all time high. And yet an undying support with fierce loyalty for the Blue and White also remains. With the arrival of Brendan Shanahan, Lou Lamoriello and Mike Babcock, Leafs Nation remains cautiously optimistic that our beloved Buds have finally turned the corner to put Canada's Team back on the map.

Legends Row

Legends Row
Legends Row is a tribute to those great men that Leafs Nation was built on, and a shrine dedicated to preserving their legacy.

NHL Sites And Toronto Maple Leafs Affiliates

BCE NHL.com NHL Alumni, Hockey's Greatest Family NHL Players Association Hockey Hall Of Fame Hockey Night In Canada Rogers Hockey Canada Air Canada Center Toronto Marlies Orlando Solar Bears Officials Association The Kilmer Group

Dedicated Members Who Freely Contribute Their Time To Make This Site Special

Founder / Commissioner Administrator Moderator Moderator of the Year Historian Promoter Outstanding Member Member of the Year Trivia King Honoured Member
NAFFAEL NAFFAEL
Rubens
Leafer4Life bleedinblue charette B_Wforever
capncrunch44
Leafer4Life
B_Wforever
caper
capncrunch44
charette
Leafer
Leafer4Life
sergio sergio Oldiesmann

Paid Advertisers

Advertise here to help keep this forum FREE. For more info contact us by e-mail
Toronto Sports Talk Leafs History Corum Mobile TML Boycott.com SeatHunter.net

Advertise Your Logo Here To Help Keep This Forum Free For All To Enjoy!

Disclaimer

This site is maintained and made available for fan enjoyment and historical purposes and is not recognized, approved, sponsored or endorsed by the Toronto Maple Leafs or the National Hockey League. The Toronto Maple Leafs, Maple Leafs and associated logo marks, the NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup, and NHL Conference logos are registered trade-marks of MLSE and/or the National Hockey League. All NHL member club logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted on this Web site are the property of the respective NHL member clubs. All other logos and trademarks on this site are property of TNTDomains/TMLForum.com unless otherwise noted. Any advertising revenue or donations received by TMLForum.com go directly towards the costs of running this website and it is not intended as a for-profit venture. For all current logos, and images which many certainly have been copyrighted, we use the logos and images under the blanket of "fair use". There should be no trademark violations because we are not selling any products associated with any of the logos displayed, designed or replicated on this site whatsoever.

Terms of Service and the Code Of Conduct

PageRank Checker

Contact Us

Go to top of page
Go to top of page