Author Topic: World Cup of Hockey - Tournament Schedule  (Read 678 times)

Offline NAFFAEL

• Founder
  • Commissioner
  • Administrator
  • Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.
    • TML Fever "Come Catch The Fever TML Style"
World Cup of Hockey - Tournament Schedule
« on: September 14, 2016, 12:23:16 AM »

2016 World Cup of Hockey Schedule

PRELIMINARIES

ROUND DATE MATCHUP TIME (ET) TV Score
Round-Robin Saturday, Sept 17 USA vs EUR 3:30 PM ESPN2, SPORTSNET, TVA SPORTS EUR 3-0 RW
Round-Robin Saturday, Sept 17 CZE vs CAN 8:00 PM ESPNEWS, SPORTSNET, TVA SPORTS CAN 6-0 RW
Round-Robin Sunday, Sept 18 SWE vs RUS 3:00 PM ESPN, SPORTSNET, TVA SPORTS SWE 2-1 RW
Round-Robin Sunday, Sept 18 NA vs FIN 8:00 PM ESPN2, SPORTSNET, TVA SPORTS NA 4-1 RW
Round-Robin Monday, Sept 19 EUR vs CZE 3:00 PM ESPN, SPORTSNET, TVA SPORTS EUR 3-2 RW
Round-Robin Monday, Sept 19 RUS vs NA 8:00 PM ESPN2, SPORTSNET, TVA SPORTS RUS 4-3 RW
Round-Robin Tuesday, Sept 20 FIN vs SWE 3:00 PM ESPN, SPORTSNET, TVA SPORTS SWE 1-0 RW
Round-Robin Tuesday, Sept 20 CAN vs USA 8:00 PM ESPN, SPORTSNET, TVA SPORTS CAN 4-2 RW
Round-Robin Wednesday, Sept 21 NA vs SWE 3:00 PM ESPN, SPORTSNET, TVA SPORTS NA 4-3 OW
Round-Robin Wednesday, Sept 21 EUR vs CAN 8:00 PM ESPN2, SPORTSNET, TVA SPORTS CAN 4-1 RW
Round-Robin Thursday, Sept 22 FIN vs RUS 3:00 PM ESPN, SPORTSNET, TVA SPORTS RUS 3-0 RW
Round-Robin Thursday, Sept 22 USA vs CZE 8:00 PM ESPN2, SPORTSNET, TVA SPORTS CZE 4-3 RW

SEMI-FINAL

Semi-final 1 Saturday, Sept 24 CANADA vs RUSSIA 7:00 PM ESPN2, CBC, TVA SPORTS CANADA    5-3 RW
Semi-final 2 Sunday, Sept 25 EUROPE vs SWEDEN 1:00 PM ESPN, CBC, TVA SPORTS EUROPE    3-2 OW

FINAL

Final Tuesday, Sept 27 CANADA    vs     EUROPE 8:00 PM ESPN, CBC, TVA SPORTS CANADA    3-1 RW
Final Thursday, Sept 29 CANADA    vs     EUROPE
8:00 PM ESPN2, CBC, TVA SPORTS CANADA    2-1 RW
Final (if necessary) Saturday, Oct 1 SF1 vs SF2
7:00 PM ESPN2, CBC, TVA SPORTS --00--

Group A   Group B  
CAN - Canada-------WORLD CUP CHAMPIONS     FIN - Finland  
CZE - Czech Republic   NA - North America  
EUR - Europe   RUS - Russia  
USA - United States   SWE - Sweden  

2016 World Cup of Hockey Simplified

2016 World Cup of Hockey: Groups, Preliminary Schedule, Playoff Format

The World Cup of Hockey is a two-week international hockey tournament that will take place in Toronto, Ontario from September 17 - October 1, 2016. Its a joint effort between the NHL and the NHLPA, in cooperation with the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF).

More than 150 NHL players will come together to form eight teams, starting their season early to compete in the best-on-best championship. As with all tournaments, teams will be broken into two groups for the preliminary round:

Group A
  • Canada
  • Czech Republic
  • Europe (with players from several smaller European countries)
  • USA
Group B
  • Finland
  • North America (Canadian and American players who will be under 24 years of age on October 1)
  • Russia
  • Sweden

Each team will play three round-robin games versus each opponent in its group. The top two finishers from Groups A and B will advance to the semi-finals, where the first-place teams will play an elimination game against the second-place team from the opposing group. The winners of the semi-finals will meet in a best-of-three final series.

Unlike most international tournaments, the World Cup of Hockey will follow NHL rules. Games will be played on the NHL-sized ice surface at the Air Canada Centre with full NHL rules. Round-robin overtimes will follow the NHL regular season format (3-on-3 for five minutes followed by a shootout) and elimination-round overtimes will follow the NHL playoff format (20 minute periods of continuous overtime).

The World Cup replaced what was the Canada Cup in 1996, with the tournament taking place seven times since 1976. Team Canada has dominated almost every time - bringing home the gold five times and silver twice. Their stacked roster entering this World Cup, including high-profile head coach Mike Babcock, makes them the team to beat once again.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 12:10:43 AM by NAFFAEL »

These walls honour the 13 Stanley Cup winning teams. Remembering them with pride. They showed the way. They built the tradition we strive to uphold and build on today. ...unknown

"Every time you wake up, ask yourself, "What good am I going to do today?", remember that when the sun goes down at sunset, it will take a part of your life with it." ...Native American Proverb

The individual activity of one man with backbone will do more than a thousand men with a mere wishbone. ...William J. H. Boetcker

Offline B_Wforever

• Promoter
  • Outstanding Member
  • Hall Of Famer
  • Its only up from here
Re: World Cup of Hockey - Tournament Schedule
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 11:06:48 AM »
Leafs Presence (Note that team Canada is the only team without leaf representation) :

Group A:
TEU: Anderson(hurt , will not play)
Canada: None
USA: JVR
Czech: Polak, Michalek

Group B:
TNA: MAthews, Reilley
Finland: Komarov
Russia: Zaitsev
Sweden: Enroth

Offline Leafer

• Outstanding Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 05:16:45 PM »
Saturday it starts. I'm pretty excited. I haven't been in the country for a hockey season for a few seasons. Also, we haven't had a lot of meaningful games to watch lately.

Is Leafer4Life going to make game day threads for the Canada games too? And possibly the NA games?

Offline NAFFAEL

• Founder
  • Commissioner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 12:27:37 AM »
I sure hope she does... Her posts are a staple around here. Time will tell.... :xfing

These walls honour the 13 Stanley Cup winning teams. Remembering them with pride. They showed the way. They built the tradition we strive to uphold and build on today. ...unknown

"Every time you wake up, ask yourself, "What good am I going to do today?", remember that when the sun goes down at sunset, it will take a part of your life with it." ...Native American Proverb

The individual activity of one man with backbone will do more than a thousand men with a mere wishbone. ...William J. H. Boetcker

Offline B_Wforever

• Promoter
  • Outstanding Member
  • Hall Of Famer
  • Its only up from here
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 10:34:43 AM »
So how interesting does this tournament become if Finland and the USA win today?

A side
TE 2-0
CAN 1-1
USA 1-1
Czech 0-1-1
Everyone still in it.

B side
Sweden 1-1
Finland 1-1
TNA 1-1
Russia 1-1
Everyone tied going into the final games.

I do expect both these games to be close. As bad as team USA looked agasint TE, they are specifically "built to beat Canada". This is their gold medal game.
Finland as well, really probably won't care as much about winning the trophy as they do in making sure they beat Sweden today.

Offline NAFFAEL

• Founder
  • Commissioner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 12:27:14 AM »
So how interesting does this tournament become if Finland and the USA win today?

A side
TE 2-0
CAN 1-1
USA 1-1
Czech 0-1-1
Everyone still in it.

B side
Sweden 1-1
Finland 1-1
TNA 1-1
Russia 1-1
Everyone tied going into the final games.

I do expect both these games to be close. As bad as team USA looked agasint TE, they are specifically "built to beat Canada". This is their gold medal game.
Finland as well, really probably won't care as much about winning the trophy as they do in making sure they beat Sweden today.

The only thing that's really interesting to me is that NA and CAN keep winning.....  :e3: :GCG

Offline B_Wforever

• Promoter
  • Outstanding Member
  • Hall Of Famer
  • Its only up from here
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 08:09:00 AM »
I got to be honest, the Canada games have been been booorrrring with a capital B.
Fun to win, but they are just so much better then everyone else that the entertainment value just isn't there.

Offline NAFFAEL

• Founder
  • Commissioner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 10:42:36 AM »
Gotta love Kessel's Tweet:

Phil Kessel Verified account
‏@PKessel81

Just sitting around the house tonight w my dog. Felt like I should be doing something important, but couldn't put my finger on it.

Offline capncrunch44

• Outstanding Member
  • Promoter
    • Computer Solutions "Plus"
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 11:00:21 AM »
Gotta love Kessel's Tweet:

Phil Kessel Verified account
‏@PKessel81

Just sitting around the house tonight w my dog. Felt like I should be doing something important, but couldn't put my finger on it.

That is awesome!  I saw a news article on it, but they didn't publish his quip.

Chuck Norris didn't dial the wrong number, you picked up the wrong phone.

Offline B_Wforever

• Promoter
  • Outstanding Member
  • Hall Of Famer
  • Its only up from here
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 11:41:37 AM »
I really don;t think Kessel would have made a difference, but given all the publicity he took for not getting an invite, I think it's fair for him to send out a parting shot.

Offline Leafer

• Outstanding Member
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 03:47:37 PM »
I really don;t think Kessel would have made a difference, but given all the publicity he took for not getting an invite, I think it's fair for him to send out a parting shot.
I tweeted at him that he wouldn't have made a difference.

Team USA was disappointed by his tweet and Bobby Ryan (also snubbed). I couldn't find Ryan's tweet.

Offline NAFFAEL

• Founder
  • Commissioner
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2016, 12:01:31 AM »
You know what I think he might have made a difference, maybe not a huge difference, but a difference. He was Team USAs leading point man at the Sochi Olympics in 2014, why would he be left off this squad? That's just a real crazy snub on managements part.... I think he had a right to say that.

Anyway..... as long a Canada keeps winning I have no problem with team USA losing all the time. They've taken enough of our game and will probably surpass us within talent in my lifetime.... SIGH....

Offline NAFFAEL

• Founder
  • Commissioner
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 12:30:34 AM »
Avery what I called a bored Canada victory.... Everyone looked like they were daydreaming...

Offline NAFFAEL

• Founder
  • Commissioner
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 12:37:46 AM »
Crosby on Canada's 3-1 win Sep 27, 2016 02:04

Final, Gm1: Team Canada captain Sidney Crosby talks about his team's chemistry in a 3-1 victory against Team Europe

Offline NAFFAEL

• Founder
  • Commissioner
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2016, 11:24:02 PM »
They got lucky tonight but still well deserved!

The Evolution Of The Toronto Maple Leafs Logo

The Evolution Of The Toronto Maple Leafs Jersey

Toronto Maple Leafs Jersey History

A Proud Franchise With Strong Tradition And Rich History

13 Stanley Cups

The Toronto Maple Leafs have an incredibly rich history and are arguably the most storied franchise in all of hockey. While the tradition runs deep with 13 Stanley Cups, the last of which came in 1967, the organization was considered a dynasty in the 1940's and 1960's only to be followed by five long decades of drought that began with the Ballard years up until the present day. While a resurgence through the Pat Burns teams of the 1990's and Pat Quinn in the early 2000's brought some respectability back to the organization despite still falling short, the patience of every Leafs fan is at an all time high. And yet an undying support with fierce loyalty for the Blue and White also remains. With the arrival of Brendan Shanahan, Lou Lamoriello and Mike Babcock, Leafs Nation remains cautiously optimistic that our beloved Buds have finally turned the corner to put Canada's Team back on the map.

Legends Row

Legends Row
Legends Row is a tribute to those great men that Leafs Nation was built on, and a shrine dedicated to preserving their legacy.

NHL Sites And Toronto Maple Leafs Affiliates

BCE NHL.com NHL Alumni, Hockey's Greatest Family NHL Players Association Hockey Hall Of Fame Hockey Night In Canada Rogers Hockey Canada Air Canada Center Toronto Marlies Orlando Solar Bears Officials Association The Kilmer Group

Dedicated Members Who Freely Contribute Their Time To Make This Site Special

Founder / Commissioner Administrator Moderator Moderator of the Year Historian Promoter Outstanding Member Member of the Year Trivia King Honoured Member
NAFFAEL NAFFAEL
Rubens
Leafer4Life bleedinblue charette B_Wforever
capncrunch44
Leafer4Life
B_Wforever
caper
capncrunch44
charette
Leafer
Leafer4Life
sergio sergio Oldiesmann

Paid Advertisers

Advertise here to help keep this forum FREE. For more info contact us by e-mail
Toronto Sports Talk Leafs History Corum Mobile TML Boycott.com SeatHunter.net

Advertise Your Logo Here To Help Keep This Forum Free For All To Enjoy!

Disclaimer

This site is maintained and made available for fan enjoyment and historical purposes and is not recognized, approved, sponsored or endorsed by the Toronto Maple Leafs or the National Hockey League. The Toronto Maple Leafs, Maple Leafs and associated logo marks, the NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup, and NHL Conference logos are registered trade-marks of MLSE and/or the National Hockey League. All NHL member club logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted on this Web site are the property of the respective NHL member clubs. All other logos and trademarks on this site are property of TNTDomains/TMLForum.com unless otherwise noted. Any advertising revenue or donations received by TMLForum.com go directly towards the costs of running this website and it is not intended as a for-profit venture. For all current logos, and images which many certainly have been copyrighted, we use the logos and images under the blanket of "fair use". There should be no trademark violations because we are not selling any products associated with any of the logos displayed, designed or replicated on this site whatsoever.

Terms of Service and the Code Of Conduct

PageRank Checker

Contact Us

Go to top of page
Go to top of page